Monday, June 18, 2012

Review (31): The Fairytale Keeper: Avenging the Queen by Andrea Cefalo

The Fairytale Keeper: Avenging the Queen
by Andrea Cefalo

Series: The Fairytale Keeper series
Other Reviewed Titles: None
Release Date:
June 1, 2012
Publisher: Scarlet Primrose Press
Pages: 280
Source: ARC from Author
Challenge: None

My Review: 
Avenging the Queen is book one in the new series by Andrea Cefalo. At first I thought it would only be a retelling of the classic Snow White, but the more I read, the more Grimm characters started to pop up. I don’t want to give away which character is who, but I will say that there are appearances by Snow White (obviously), Cinderella, the Shoemaker from The Elves and the Shoemaker, and a few others. They are woven so well into the story and I loved when new backgrounds were introduced. 

But anyways, on to the actual book. Adelaide, nicknamed ‘Snow White’ by her mother due to her snowy complexion, dark hair and bright red lips, must bury her mother after she passes away from the fever that has upset their home in Cologne. Thousands more have been taken, but few are given the Last Rites they deserve which is why Adelaide’s father must bribe the local parish priest to make sure his wife has a proper burial. However, the ceremony goes horribly wrong which prompts thoughts of revenge in Adelaide’s mind. She gets herself and the people she loves into quite a bit of trouble as the story progresses. The beginning was a little slow for me and it took a while to get into the story, but by the middle I couldn’t seem to put the book down! 

Adelaide has to deal with things normal 15 year olds wouldn’t even dream of and she handles it all extremely well. Considering the time period, she is also very outspoken and refuses to bow down to what people tell her to do when she knows they are wrong. She was smart, clever and very brave which I liked a lot. Ivo, her best friend and love interest, was also a great character. He was so sweet and caring that I couldn’t stop myself from constantly going “awww”. Both had their own set of problems, but together seemed to strengthen each other. 

I love the cover of the book, it would have definitely caught my attention had I seen it on the shelves of my local bookstore. And the fact that it was designed by the author herself just makes it that much better!

I am very excited for the second book in the series. I can’t wait to see what happens next to Adelaide and what prompts her to become the Snow White we know and love today.

Rating: * * * *

And thank you to the author for sending me a copy for review.

1 comment:

  1. This book does look pretty interesting and I'm quite interested in fairytale retellings at the moment. I might check this one out!

    Teenage fiction

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE getting and reading comments. Knowing what you guys have to say really helps me figure out if you are enjoying what I'm posting or not, so thank you.